Thursday, June 25, 2009

Theme Thursday-Summer

Theme Thursday

Swimming in the backyard, picnic's underneath the peach tree, swinging on my swing-set, my birthday, my sister's birthday, my mother's birthday and countless cousin's birthday parties occurring every weekend. The sweet aroma of sweet roses and honeysuckle intermingling with the smell of sun block; hot dogs wrapped in crescent roll dough, mac and cheese and lemonade my favorite meal after playing in the pool-this was my childhood summer.

Bus rides at 7:30 am across town, making new friends, sitting in a junior college class room for six hours a day listening to lecture after lecture after lecture for eight weeks straight. Algebra homework, exams, and studying in a hot bedroom during heat wave after heat wave-my summer as a young student.

As a college student moping around the house, going out with friends to the mall and to the cinema was great but did not take precedence. Archery, general psychology, logic, and other evenings classes filled my summer. Homework, exams and studying in a big air-conditioned library; making the grade and slowly crossing off general education classes.

No more classes and no more summer breaks, I sure miss school now.

Now I run and train with TNT raising funds to find a cure for leukemia and lymphoma and other blood-related cancers. Waking up at 5:20 am to meet a group of dedicated people every Thursday morning to train for a marathon knowing full well that I am making a difference as I work out to stay physically fit. Being an adult isn't all that bad.

Training and running, a layoff notice from work and an acceptance letter from San Jose State University for the Fall of 2009into the Single Subject Credential Program is what this summer has brought forth! My last day of work is July 31st, my first day of class is August 24th, my marathon is October 18th and I'm all smiles. Standing in front of a class lecturing instead of taking notes, handing out and grading exams, summer breaks filled with swimming and picnics and running, future summers here I come.

No comments: