Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Running, Baking, Fund-Raising and Running Some More

The training and fund-raising never ends. Saturday was our first not so On Your Own run. Team In Training mentors and captains chose different parks and times and led OYO runs for participants to join. Of course they can run on their own but it's always more fun to run with new and old friends.

The photo below is the group Victoria and I led the four mile run at Campbell Park at 8 am Saturday. I hope I have all the names right from left to right: Sparsha, Sandy, Nicole, Jessica, Jennifer, Katie, Victoria and Sara. Mike B. is somewhere in the background stretching after his six mile run.

Considering that Victoria and I are going to be running the SF half marathon in a month we met up earlier to get a quick two miles in. We ran the two miles in under 20 minutes! I'm hoping to get more speed training and run the half in two hours. It'd be great to run it under two hours and in order to do that I'll have to train really hard.

Six miles and lot's of laughs later I picked my parent's up for a little wine tasting at Janine's home, her outstanding fundraiser. My husband's friend Charles came up for the weekend from LA and came along with us. Charles came over to our place dressed up. In the meantime I was fixing my hair wearing my very pretty dress. My husband looked at his friend, looked at me, and back at his friend and frowned. He hung his head down looking at his feet in flip flops and walked to the bedroom saying, "I guess I have to get dressed, huh?"

Peer pressure at it's best. I don't remember the last time my husband dressed up. Thanks Charles, it wouldn't have happened without you. My husband on the left and Charles on the right.

A couple of wines, plenty of great cheeses, fruits, nuts, crackers, great northern California summer weather in a beautifully groomed backyard with wonderful people raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, it was a perfect Saturday afternoon.

More cookies and more banana bread a baking. Selling baked cookies and banana bread does not sell as quickly or gets the huge returns as $25 a glass for a wine tasting event. So I'll have to come up with another fundraising tool. Hang with the gangs are also a way to fundraise if done properly.

I hosted Track Tuesday's "Hang With The Gang" and made a small profit for my fundraiser. I could have made more if I bought less food but a profit is still a profit and now I have plenty of left overs to eat for a week. That's not bad, right? Beef broccoli, lots of white rice and eggrolls to feed 20 people isn't bad. Oh, it's going to be a long week or week and a half.

Besides hosting HWTG I ran three miles at 28:57. Not the time I wanted but it was hot and I didn't have a proper snack to sustain me for track so I'll take that time for now. Next time we do a timed 3 mile run I'll I want to be able to finish in 25 minutes. I'm going to work hard and I will do it.

I have a fundraising dinner coming up at California Pizza Kitchen in early July. Click here to find out more details. If you have any fundraising ideas please leave me a comment. Thanks, Gabby.

No comments: