Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pay Attention To Me!

Something I forgot to mention yesterday, and it's important, the students I'm observing are freshmen, ESL students (Mexican and Vietnamese), are overactive (ADD and ADHD), and most have problems at home. No wonder they were horrible. After talking to the instructor about her students she shared with me that most of her students are neglected and ignored at home. With no adult supervision they act out to demand attention.

Instead of sitting back and observing the classes I interacted with the students. I walked around and helped them out and was surprised to find how bright they really are, but without being pushed they just don't apply themselves. It was amazing to see them blossom with a little help. They behaved and did their work and were quiet. It was nice. It was more than nice, it was great! The problem is there is one teacher for 28 students and it is not enough. Adding me to the mix is better but still not enough. These students require personal attention in small groups, positive reinforcement, and a fire within themselves to succeed. Unfortunately there isn't enough money in the district to pay for extra teachers and not enough people willing to do this work.

Something needs to change. Schools do have enough volunteers that come in during prep periods and after school to tutor the kids but there isn't enough volunteers to go around. Furthermore, students don't ask for help. Those students receiving tutoring only attend because they are required to attend. Ahhhhh! They need to be caught before they fail so they don't repeat the class and waste time, but that's how it goes.

On the other hand there are a large group of high school students that are doing well and do want to learn. I observed a chemistry class and for the most part the students paid attention, took their notes (a 15 minute lecture that was fairly easy but was followed by a lot of groans and complaints that it was running too long), and were not afraid to ask the instructor for help, not mine. They finally gave in and allowed me to help them with their chemical skeletal structures when they found out that I was a chemist and their instructor was not available. I guess it's a little weird having some stranger sitting in the back of the class watching over them.

Overall, today was a lot better and less scary. Yesterday was just a shock to the system that scared me but it's something I needed to experience. I'm ready for tomorrow.

No comments: