Monday, February 16, 2009

Let the excuses roll

I did not go running. Yes, I'm really psyched to be given the thumbs up to run up to three miles if I was feeling well and when it came time for it my left knee started to hurt. Was it psychosomatic? No. Excuse number one, physical therapy. Debbie left my knees pretty bruised Tuesday, a pain I can handle, but on top of that I banged my knee into my filing cabinet at work late Wednesday afternoon. I was distracted and running a tad late to catch my bus home and wham! By Thursday my knee was not feeling well. Walking up the stairs hurt.

Excuse number two, rain. It's been raining a lot. Rain the bay area desperately needs and rain that prohibits me from running. I've been sick several times this winter with a few colds and a three day fever so I definitely do not want to get sick again. If my memory serves me correctly there were two days in there when it did not rain.

My darling husband, I love him and he is excuse number three. He promised to go to the track with me so I can run, run to my heart's content he said. When the time came for him to take me to the track he was too tired and too cold to go outside. Plus staying in bed and getting a little more shut eye was very important to him Saturday morning. Being female I am not allowed to go to the track by myself so I pulled the covers over my head and dreamed away the morning.

My real excuse is exhaustion, number four. Lack of sleep, improper diet of too much oatmeal, cooking and eating too late, holding and helping a friend with a fundraiser at CPK in the middle of the week, and a two day seminar at work and playing catch, thinking about and studying for my two impending exams (the technology and CSET exams are coming up soon) took their toll. As much as I wanted to go running I physically and mentally was worn out.

I knew I was in bad shape when co-workers I normally don't chitchat with asked if everything was OK and if I had a bad cold. Ugh, that was not a great feeling. I may not have gone out and run three miles but I am running around doing a lot of other things. Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them.

PS
I just received an e-mail from my husband asking if I want to go to the gym today. I replied YES! I won't get to run but at least I'll be on the elliptical. It's close enough...for now.

No comments: