Monday, August 10, 2009

Trail Running!

Running and preparing for my quickly upcoming classes and a tutoring gig at my old high school I've neglected to update my blog!

Saturday I ran with my Team In Training group at Waddell Beach/Rancho Del Oso/Big Basin. It sounds like I ran everywhere that morning but it's one huge interconnected California State Park that stretches from the coast inland towards the Santa Cruz Mountains all the way to Saratoga, California. It's huge, it's beautiful and in my backyard. It's only an hour drive to the beach and well worth it. Beaches, rivers, wild blackberries, waterfalls, and enormous redwoods filled with critters, hikers, runners, and a couple of cyclist-as you can read there's something for everyone here. As an amatuer photographer it's a rich with all kinds of materials but tired me forgot to charge my camera! I did manage to take a few photos, though.

The day started off early and was plesantly surprised to see how most of the morning fog burned off before 8 in the morning with the sun quickly climbing into the sky. To our surprise the beach was balmy, too. The typical summer pattern for northern California at the coast and bay is cool and foggy. The temperature ranges in the early 60s to low 50s with a lingering fog. Warm and balmy means beautiful beach day, too hot to run in. Thankfully we were trail running along a creek and between the redwoods. The shade and cool temperatures made it perfect for running.

In spite of the beautiful surroundings, or maybe despite of it, many runners looked up to view it and tumbled over roots, rocks, and little dips in the trail. In fact two women I ran with fell, including my running buddy Victoria and Marnie. To top it off another woman sprained her ankle seven miles into our 12 mile run! Poor Pim, luckly she was able to walk to the water stop three miles away. No, the group didn't leave her alone to walk by herself. I walked Pim to the water stop where she was driven the rest of the way back while I ran the last two miles in. I have to say it was hard for me to start running again. I was running at a great pace, stopped and walked several miles and started running after emerging out of the shady woods into the dry dusty trail leading back to the beach, but I did it. Yay for me!

Click here or view the slideshow at the top of the page for photos. I can't seem to post photos on my blog for some reason. :-(

No comments: