Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bust

Running at Rancho San Antonio Park Reserve did not happen this morning. As Victoria and I drove pass the full lower parking lots and the full first upper parking lot we knew all the other parking lots were full. This park has become very very popular over the pass couple of years, but no parking at 6:40 am! What the heck? I drove from parking lot to parking lot for 20 minutes and didn't see a single TNTer. We gave up hope of finding a parking spot and bolted to Almaden Quicksilver County Park.

There was plenty of parking at Quicksilver and no shortages of hills. There was no flat area for a nice warm up like Rancho provides, nope. First step onto the trail is straight up a hill. What a great park for hill workouts with no one in the way!

I have to admit that tackling a hill head on for two curvy miles was tough so we promptly turned around after encountering the abandoned camping grounds at mile two. I'll do better the next time, Quicksilver is my new trail running park.

An abandoned building in the middle of the hills; site of the English Town camp.

A view on the way down from the camp English Town.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think where you started on the trail is even harder than where we started! Our hills were only for 1.5 miles, not 2 ;). It leveled off for A LITTLE BIT, then more hills, then more leveling off, then more. We finally turned around after 2.75 or thereabouts.

FullQuieting said...

Quicksilver's awesome...which trailhead?

Gabby said...

It was Hacienda and we ran up English Camp Trail and down Deep Gulch. Deep Gulch was very overgrown, though, so we turned around and went back the same way we went up. I can't wait to go back and try a different trail!