Saturday, July 25, 2009

In The Summertime



It's that time of year when my wonderful husband begins to smell like a vampire repellent. It's on his breath, it's in his skin, it pours out of him everywhere for days. He ate it with fries, he ate it with mushrooms and escargot, it was in his sausage sandwich, in his ice cream, and with the calamari and shrimp scampi and no piece of bread was spared. It was the 31st Annual Gilroy Garlic Festival.



Eating a great reason to go to the Garlic Festival but we also went to volunteer for the Marrow Donor Registry. I lost count at 60 new registrants! I don't know the total number of new as our shift ended at 3 pm. I do know that 84 people registered on Friday. Yes, I'm registered.



My husband and I have gone to this festival on and off for the past six years. The food is always great, the arts and crafts are fun to look at and the weather is always hot and were a little disappointed this year. Yes the economy is bad and yes the prices went up, but did they have to downgrade the food? The mushrooms and escargot vendors are now cooking without salt and seasoning! Sure you can get seasoning and salt on the side but it's just not the same. And $7 for a small bowl of calamari in garlicy marinara sauce and a slice of garlic bread? You pay too much for too little overcooked rubbery calamari. In spite of price increase on everything we still ate and ate and ate.




And the fun continues because I'm running the San Francisco Marathon tomorrow! Well, I'm running the first half of the marathon which goes over the Golden Gate Bridge! I'm so excited that I can't sleep. I'll post the photos up tomorrow.

No comments: