Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Fruits of Summer, or Vegetables Rather

My hubby and I love eating and sharing food with friends and family. The great thing about summer is all the fresh fruits and vegetables. Our favorite summer treat is grilled vegetables-grilled zucchini, yellow squash, eggplants, green and red onions in particular.

Hungry and with bags full of fresh produce we head over to my parents home where my parents, siblings, and uncle are happy to see my hubby enter the yard with a bag of charcoal and lighter fluid.

"What are you going to cook for us today," they ask with huge smiles across their faces.

"Vegetables!"

"Why are you being so cheap?" They're a grateful bunch, aren't they?

As my husband prepares the grill my mother and uncle decide that they'll buy marinated carne asada, some chicken drum sticks, and fixings for salsa. In the meantime I cook up some Spanish rice and prepare some refried beans. Warm up some corn tortillas and we're ready to eat!

As soon as we're done cooking and grilling everything an aunt and cousins show up like clock work. No worries though, when we cook we cook enough for us and any expected unexpected guests that might happen to find their way here.

This is an ordinary summer weekend at the Carlon residency, impromtu "party" with plenty of food to go around.

Sorry there aren't any photos. Hands quickly grab everything in site before allowing me any time to snap a few. That's a good thing. :-)

No comments: