Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pfeiffer Beach

My husband and I decided to take advantage of the first warm sunny weekend here in the bay by going to the beach, and invited my parents and younger brother to come along. The greatest thing about living in the bay area is the wide array of beach choices so we decided on an unusual beach two hours south of Silicon Valley in Big Sur, Pfeiffer Beach. It's a little known beach where the sand is purple! Honest.

Before heading to the beach we stopped by at Gayles in Capitola, a great place to stop by for breakfast and grab several sandwiches, rustic bagettes and tarts for a picnic on the beach.

Here are some of the photos I've snapped of Pfeiffer Beach.

This beach is located just south of Big Sur. The mineral is manganese garnet that breaks down from the rocky hillside forming purple sand.

See, redish purpleish rocks.

Breaking down and forming the prettiest colored sand I've ever seen.

There are other surprises on this beach besides purple sand.

Gorgeous blue and bluegreen water.

Several bluffs...

The most photographed bluff at the beach.

And a fresh water stream leading to the Pacific Ocean.

My papa carrying the umbrellas and chairs through the stream the first time. We found a better spot down the beach on the other side of the stream.

Here's one of me and my husband.

Did I mention it's a dog friendly beach too?

It was a great day sunny 65 degee beach day. And yes, I did get some running in too!

No comments: